I removed the generator for evaluation and cleaning. I know nothing about them so I didn't plan to rebuild or replace anything. We're not very concerned with it making power and charging the battery - this Jeep will be used sparingly and with a AGM battery in the long term. I don't think we need an alternator upgrade if we have a functioning generator. But I did end up taking it apart to clean off as much as the oily residue as I could and also to check the contact brushes that are actual wear items.
It's heavy! I guess 20-23lbs. Wrangling it off the engine was not hard at all though. Once on the bench the nut and pulley came off easier than I thought. Plenty of caked grease made sure of that. No pulley puller needed, it just wiggled off.
Then one end separates from the other. The Armature and Commutator pulls out from the case. The case contains the Field Windings and Brushes. I couldn't clean it enough! This thing needs to be soaked in solvent for days and then reassembled. But I don't have the inclination for that if the generator doesn't work (we don't know yet).
I cleaned it up as best I could and then reassembled everything and made sure the Brushes were set and making contact with the Commutator.